Ever wanted to travel back in time and experience how internet grew in leaps and bounds. Or wanted to take a reminiscence of special sites that once existed but due to pressures of time, have shut down. As Web changes constantly, and sometimes you have a website that had just the information you needed urgently is not available today. At other times you may want to see how a website content or structure/design has progressed over time.
How to use it
- Go to Wayback Machine – Web Site
- Type the site you want to revist in past
- Click on “Take Me Back” button
- Choose the year you want to visit, and then choose the date
- Check out how the site looked as of that date!!
- Legal cases : The evidence from the wayback machine has been submitted by lawyers as proof.
- Patent registration : Evidence from the wayback machine is accepted by the US Patent office,
- Copyright issues : Checking on sites for online scams or frauds. To find out if somebody is trying to cover up past publications
- Progress : Check out how a particular site has progressed over time.
- Heritrix Internet Archive’s open-source, extensible, web-scale, archival-quality web crawler project.
- webcitation.org : Launched in late 2005, Archives Web pages cited in certain health journal articles. No text search access.